Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Driving? More like driving you crazy.

I could sit here and tell you how insane it is to drive from Tokyo to our apartment, during rush hour, and to have scooters and small motorcycles zipping past you on both sides of your lane.  Wait, I just did.  I cannot believe anyone can get accustomed to how aggressive those little guys are!  I do not mind being at a total stop in my car for long amounts of time, driving on the opposite side of the road, new and different looking traffic signs, and narrow streets.  Tonight, I was seriously wondering how safe my car would be if one of these scooters was to hit me while I was at a stop.  Scary stuff.  


As I was brushing the kids' teeth tonight and singing the Ipana toothpaste song while I did so, I began to wonder about all the little things that we do because our parents did them with us.  My Dad used to sing this song to me when I was little.  I called it, "the brusha brusha song".  That is a pretty good memory.  Yet, one of the other things my Dad did when I was little, was turn off the lights when he left a room and he would give me a hard time if I left them on.  This has caused more drama than you will ever know...These are both things that I have managed to maintain as an adult, one being sort of compulsive and the other one just sort of fun.  I love my Dad.  


Go ahead and take it look.  It is pretty great.

No blog entry is complete without some pictures.  Here are a few random ones that I took while I have been practicing.  I just want everyone in Spokane to know that even this super cheap and discounted tofu kicks the $hit out of any tofu you can get there, even that locally made one which shall remain unnamed.  Why is this?  I know it is sort of their thing here, but seriously it is a huge difference.  I can just eat tofu with a spoon here with nothing on it and be totally happy.  Can you do that with your tofu?

I do not know if everyone knows about the shoe thing.  You have to take your shoes on and off all the freaking time here.  If I had designed any of these houses and homes, I would have made sure there was a seat or something to sit down at while you are taking those shoes on and off.  People expect you to just throw them on and get the heck out of the way.  I love laces and this is not the best place to have them.  Everything zips, has Velcro, or slides on.  Can you imagine having all of your shoes right by the front door?  Talk about welcoming a guest!  "Please, come in and smell my feet!"



No such thing as crappy tofu here.  Organic?  Who cares!



Shoes that slide on are a must.

1 comment:

  1. Wait until you're actually on the back of a motorbike zipping through traffic! I've been a passenger on The Hero's bike. I usually squeeze my eyes shut for the first half hour. Then I start enjoying it. Then I notice the speedometer and then I close my eyes again. :D

    Life in Japan means slip-on shoes and clean socks with no holes are absolutely essential!

    ReplyDelete