Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 2 & 3

Day 2 was completely washed out due to a record breaking downpour. I had hoped for a break in the weather in the evening put it kept on raining. It rains quite a bit here. Apparently we're getting more than usual too. After 24 hours or so of miserable wet weather, I took off for a ride in the early evening on Day 3 and decided to do a 10 mile or so loop to check out the swelling Tama River.

By the way I'm writing this on Day 4. I'm a very slow writer and guess what, it's raining again!




Usually the cycling road along the river is packed with all kinds of people. It's called a cycling road so I use it all the time because it gets me out of traffic, but I feel bad for the walkers and runners that use it too. Most of the cyclist go too fast so I make sure to go slow and pay attention to other users. That's also why I stay away from this area on weekends.


This is one of my favorite activities - hitting some balls at the batting center. I stop by here often. It's on my way to work. Recently Under Armour took over it so it looks really American-which is too bad.
They sell a lot of their clothing inside and I've already seen some little kids wearing their signature tight fitting shirts. I was never very good at it, but I sure do miss playing baseball.





Day 2 and 3 made me realize how little I'm prepared to ride in the rain.  My bike doesn't have fenders and I've got zero rain gear. I wore a rain jacket but it was more like a sauna suit. My bike doesn't fit fenders - which I knew when I bought the bike - because I chose to run bigger tires. I don't have to ride in the rain and I usually choose not to anyway so it's not a huge deal, but when rainy days continue like it has, my butt and I wish we were able to stay a little drier.

No comments:

Post a Comment